He was a leftist.
James Piereson in the Wall Street Journal:
JFK—Casualty of the Cold War Lee Harvey Oswald was a communist who idolized Castro and hated America.A good article, except for the assertion that JFK was a "casualty of the Cold War."
Bullshit. JFK was a casualty of a leftist.
If you want a disgusting precis of liberal propaganda, just consider the recurring assertions that Kennedy was a victim of an American propensity for violence, the incessant reference to right-wing protests and organizations in Dallas, etc, and the astonishing refusal of liberals to admit that Kennedy was murdered by a man from their end of the political spectrum.
1) JFK was murdered by a leftist.
2) Conservatives had nothing whatsoever to do with the assassination.
3) Conservatives warned America about the danger the Left posed to our country. The assassination proved them right.
4) The nearly universal bleating from the media, academics etc. about how Kennedy's assassination demonstrated the "violent streak" in American culture was and is obscene. Kennedy was killed by one man-- a man wholly of the Left. Conservatives and mainstream Americans had nothing to do with Kennedy's murder.
5) The media and academia were and are politically quite close to Oswald on many issues.
6) Oswald was not a nut. He was a leftist who shared many of the views of the left then and now: he sympathized with Cuba, the Soviet Union, socialism, and he hated capitalism, etc. Oswald's political views would fit nicely in any number of Hollywood cocktail parties and modern Democratic Party soirees, and you couldn't fit an index card between Oswald's politics and the politics of the far-left Castro-loving loon just elected mayor of New York City.
7) Oswald's murder of Kennedy didn't make him a nut either. It just meant that he was evil, and shared the violent proclivities of University of Illinois professor Bill Ayers, Columbia professor Kathy Boudin, and many other leftists with blood on their hands.
In fact, both Ayers and Boudin killed more people than Oswald. Oswald killed two people. Ayers and Boudin killed three people each.
If Oswald's first murder victim hadn't been so prominent a person, Oswald-- a leftist cop killer like Boudin-- would be a hero to the left, a professor at some prestigious university perhaps, like Ayers and Boudin are today.