Friday, June 17, 2011

My Kindle

My wife got me a Kindle a couple of days ago as an (early) Father's Day gift. She had asked me many times if I'd like one, both because she thought I'd like it and because I read a lot and I suspect that she wanted to get rid of some of the books cluttering the house.

I haven't stopped using it. It's easy to use, easy to read, holds a charge that lasts a couple of days, and allows you to purchase really cheap books electronically from an enormous collection at Amazon. My tastes run to esoteric stuff, and contrary to my fears I've found a more than ample supply of scholastic philosophy, history, literary theory, along with current political non-fiction, religion, etc. The selection isn't utterly comprehensive, but it may be better in practice because purchasing a book is so easy (ten seconds) and dirt cheap (many of the books I buy cost less than $5.)

You can mark pages and passages, the device will keep your place automatically as you skip from book to book (I jump a lot when I read, like I jump when I write).

Some of the purchases amaze me. I downloaded (in a few seconds) all Shakespeare's plays for $0.99.

Kindle: highly recommended. I think that it and devices like it will change the way we read, and will consign paper books to the same niche to which digital cameras have consigned film.

I'd write more, but I want to get back to my Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment