Thursday, December 20, 2012

Robert Bork on his conversion to Catholicism

Jurist and legal scholar Robert Bork, who passed away yesterday, gave this interview in 2003 about his conversion to Catholicism.

My conversion had similar themes, as well as personal experiences-- and one in particular-- in which the Lord made Himself quite real to me. He still does. My guess is that Bork has experiences as well, which perhaps he would be reluctant to discuss in an interview. I believe that the Lord draws us to him in a variety of ways-- through reason, through intuition, through emotions, through suffering and trial, through revelation, and through human relationships.

He's terribly persistent. 

8 comments:

  1. Damn right. I know where you're coming from-- I was there for many years. I know well the ignorance and arrogance of atheism.

    I enjoy dissecting it, because I know it, as payback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Says Bork in the interview:

    There is an advantage in waiting until you’re 76 to be baptized, because you’re forgiven all of your prior sins.

    Allegedly, the sociopath and murderous Emperor Constantine converted for similar reasons. It must be comforting to imagine being forgiven without having to ask your victims for forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lord is merciful, as we should be. He only asks for our repentance, for our turning back to Him.

      All sin is ultimately against Him, because He stands with us, and bears our sorrows and suffering.

      he was pierced for our transgressions,
      he was crushed for our iniquities;
      the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
      and by his wounds we are healed.

      Delete
    2. Troy,

      The line that I liked in the interview was the one 'the church is the church Christ established'. No, no, no, no... How can he be so ignorant? Jesus didn't establish anything. It was Paul and Peter.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy dissecting it, because I know it, as payback.

    You just aren't very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arrogant for sure, but slightly less ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure about less ignorant. Sources like this make you less informed, not better informed.

    Hoo

    ReplyDelete